Kristan Peters-HamlinManaging Partner
Kristan Peters-Hamlin has litigated in thirty states in cases involving employment, tort, defamation, executive compensation, unfair competition, trade secrets, criminal, commercial and constitutional law in both single plaintiff and class action lawsuits.
Kristan Peters-Hamlin has thirty-seven published decisions in her name, has tried dozens of cases to verdict, has written over fifty appellate briefs and has had more than forty appellate arguments.
She served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Washington D.C. for nearly six years, in both the Criminal and Civil Divisions. In the Civil Division, she defended the United States and its departments and agencies in discrimination complaints. Prior to law school, Kristan Peters-Hamlin worked as an analyst in the Labor Relations Department of the international division of Shell Oil ("Pecten International") in Houston, Texas, and Douala, Cameroon. She has lived in four countries and speaks four languages.
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas, 1987
- Texas International Law Journal, Symposium Editor
- Published Note -- "The Impact of Islamic Revivalism on Contract and Riba Law in Saudi Arabia Egypt and Iran", Texas International Law Journal, 1987
B.S., Cornell University, 1982
- Pennsylvania (voluntarily inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- "The Glass Ceiling," Vital Voices, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2008
- "Four Years After SOX: Where Are We? A Review of SOX Retaliation Cases", Associate of Corporate Counsel of America (ACCA), New York, NY, 2006
- "Retaliation and Whistle Blowing Under Sarbanes-Oxley", South Texas College of Law Advance Civil Trial Law Conference, Houston, Texas, 2006
- "Four Years After SOX: Where Are We?", Fulbright & Jaworski, Houston, TX, 2006
- "Negligent Hiring and Retention", Association of Threat Assessment Professionals, Northeast Chapter, New York, NY, 2004
- Course Instructor, Trade Secrets Law, Corporate Espionage and Employment Discrimination and Harassment, Maryland Chamber of Commerce, MIB, JREC, and Maryland In-House Corporate Counsel Association
- "Trade Secrets,", CLE Marathon, Pillsbury Winthrop, New York, NY, 2004
- Employment Law Lecture Series, Touro College, New York, NY, 2000
Honors and Awards
- "New York Super Lawyer," Magazine of Law and Politics, 2006, 2007
- Selected by the Justice Department to Serve on the Rwanda War Crimes Tribunal, 1995
- Elected, 2013, Member of RTM (the Westport, CT Town legislature)
- Endowed Scholarship at Cornell University: "The Kristan Peters - Hamlin Fund for Development of Civil Rights for Women in the Middle East"
- President's Council on Cornell Women (member appointed by Cornell President Skorton)
- Vital Voices (NGO promoting international civil and economic rights for women)
- Member, Democratic Town Committee, Westport, CT; Chair of DTC Programming
- United Way, Former Volunteer and Counselor for Abused Children
- Chairwoman for 2012 Stamford, CT Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee "Women's Conference"
- Member, Cornell University's CAAN ambassador
- Director, Board of Directors, Westport Historical Society (Chair of Fundraising)
- Appointed by Westport First Selectman to Longshore 50th Committee, Events Chair
- Class Officer, Cornell University
- Delegate from the state of Connecticut to the 2012 Democratic National Convention for selecting the President of the United States
- 2010 and 2012 delegate to the Connecticut Democratic State Convention selecting Governor, U.S. Senators, and U.S. Representatives for the state of CT.
- Member, Women’s Foreign Policy Group (www.wfpg.org)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association, Employment Law Committee
- Women's Bar Association, New York Judicial Selection Committee
- International Bar Association, Discrimination and Gender Equality Committee
- International Bar Association, Employment and Industrial Relations Law Committee
- International Bar Association, Human Rights Law Committee
- International Bar Association, Women's Interest Group
- Association for a Better New York